Saturday, June 27, 2009

Flood Experience

Several months after Kak Long was born, we became flood victims. That night of heavy rain, with water level kept on rising, I didn't sleep a wink. For every half hour, I would go out of the house and observe the water level. At about four o'clock in the morning, the water level finally stop rising. The stop level was less than a foot from our floor (our rented house was on high ground but less than 1000 meters away from Sungai Pahang. Later, I was told that it was the back-flow of Sungai Pahang that caused the flood.

With no electricity and non-stop rain, we couldn't clean our everyday clothings on time. However, more importantly, Kak Long's cotton sheet diapers (at that time disposable diapers are a luxury) couldn't be cleaned on time. Furthermore, Kak Long’s milk powder was running low. It was up to me to go to Temerloh town to get disposable diapers and our food supplies. The road leading to town centre was submerged right from day one of the flood. Travelling in group (a few of our neighbours did joined in) for security reason, we started the journey through the woods and hills. My one month training stint at Pasir Panjang (Negeri Sembilan) Outbound School helped me tremendously. The 3 kilometer road distance now becomes 5 kilometer. We have to avoid deep waters at some stretches by following longer bypass routes.

At times, I would wonder, how my two love ones were doing back in the village. Were they alright? Were they in fear? I nearly backed out and returned to them. Images of their smiling faces kept appearing in my mind, pulling my tired body, like a magnet, to return to them. "Hey Zauri! Pull yourself together. You have to be patient and steadfast. They NEED you to be patient and steadfast.” said the inherent Mr. Positive Personality. “Alright! Alright!” replied his counterpart, Mr. Negative Personality. This kept on going inside my mind throughout the long and sinuous journey.

Seeing the roof top of Centre Point Hotel, Temerloh (the tallest building in town) in between the trees quickened the pace of my footsteps. Opposite the hotel was my destination, Temerloh Supermarket. With my hands shaking out of the excitement, I zipped open the side pocket of my back-pack and took out the shopping list that was prepared by my wife the night before. Once again, upon seeing my wife’s hand writing, I wondered again about the well being of my two love ones I left behind nearly two hours ago…

On the return trip, we unanimously agreed to hire a boat. With all the goods we bought from the supermarket, we had no choice. Everybody in the group chipped in a few ringgit and handed over the money to one ever-smiling, young “instant” entrepreneur.

On the last bend around a rambutan tree, I could see my wife standing in front of our house, wearing light pink round neck T-shirt and batik sarong, carrying Kak Long who was wearing her favourite Mickey Mouse shirt. Upon knowing that I was among the boat passengers, both of them waved excitedly, as if welcoming a warrior who had just returned from a fiercely fought battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment