Friday, May 15, 2009

Trip To Tioman Island


As a birthday present to my wife, Azarina, I had planned a 3D/2N holiday package for 2 to Tioman Island. After making baby sitting arrangements for our children, Kak Long, 8 and Munif, 5, with my parent-in-laws and having a tough time explaining to Kak Long and Munif why they were not included in the trip, we rushed off to Sultan Abdul Halim Airport to catch a flight to KLIA. Then, a taxi trip from KLIA to Subang Airport to catch Pelangi Air flight to Tioman Island.

Having received the take-off clearance from the Control Tower, the Fairchild Dornier 228 aircraft screaming it's heart out trying to take off. I looked at my wife, seated at seat No. 2, with "Can this aircraft actually takes off?" look on my face. Of course it can, with both of us heaving up our bodies the moment the aircraft wheels lifted off the runaway surface. Well, that was the least bit of help that we could contribute. Throughout the flight, my wife sat silently in her seat. I thought she was enjoying the view outside the aircraft window until I saw her pale looking face. I was in a fix when I tried to comfort her since we have got another return trip to go through.

Next came the time for landing. From seat No. 1, I could see through the aircraft windscreen. It looked as if we were heading towards a hill. The moment I felt that the aircraft was too close to the hill, suddenly, it made a sharp right turn, similar to a rally driver making the turn after receiving "Hard Right!" instruction from his navigator. The runaway and the terminal building of Tioman Island Airstrip popped up in my view. What a relief!

Berjaya Tioman Island Resort is a chalet-typed resort. Checking-in was plain sailing for us. We had a good time beach walking, jet-skiing and took a glass bottomed boat trip to view the coral reef oceanic life.

Then, came the time to leave the island. Having to endure another flight experience in the space of two days, we felt very reluctant. However, what made us willingly to carry on with the return journey was the fact that both of us were going back to Perlis, where Kak Long and Munif were waiting for us.

2 comments: